Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

A sisterhood of mommies

So this past week I'm in the grocery store (Publix for all you Florida folks out there) picking up some last minute essentials. We're almost done and Samantha's just hanging out in the shopping cart, happily playing with a box of Frosted Flakes (buy one, get one free!). As I reach for a package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, an urpy-sounding noise causes my head to whip back around. Samantha is vomiting all over herself, her pink shopping cart seat cover, her bunny, her sippy cup and Tony the Tiger. Very slight pause, then she does it again. And again.

She's crying, and I'm trying to help her without getting puke in even more places. A nearby store employee hands me two paper towels and flees the scene. Then two nearby moms, seeing our plight, spring into action. One wheels back to the produce section to get me some bags in which to put our contaminated belongings, and the other produces a handful of baby wipes so I can at least clean off Sam's face and hands.

They are both so understanding, practical and kind. They tell me they've both been there, and are helping the way that they'd want to be helped. I wish I could have thanked them even more than I got to in the store, but I don't have any way to get ahold of them. Two mommies, one with a teenage son, the other with a toddler, thank you for swooping in to save the day; you were definitely a Godsend.

No comments:

Post a Comment